All motor vehicles and trailers owned or operated by a Colorado resident must be registered. Colorado residency is established when one of the following criteria is met:
- You obtain a Colorado drivers license
- You obtain employment in Colorado
- You own or operate a business in Colorado
- You reside in Colorado continuously for 90 days
View additional residency requirements from the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles
Registering Your Vehicle
All applications for vehicle registrations must be made at the motor vehicle office in the county you reside. View a list of the Adams County motor vehicle office locations to find out which location is closest to you. Criteria used to establish residency in the county is:
- Business address - used when registering a business vehicle that is in the business name
- Primary place of residence - used when registering a personal vehicle; utilizes the same laws and regulations that apply to voter registration
- When the place of residence or business does not apply, the address where the vehicle is primarily domiciled and maintained may be used
Title, registration and emission forms are available from the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles website
Vehicle Purchased by Cash
When a vehicle is a cash purchase from either a dealer or a private individual you must bring the title and any applicable documents properly assigned to you and proof of emissions. As of July 1, 1999, proof of valid vehicle insurance is also required. If you have a set of license plates you want to reissue to your newly purchased vehicle, bring the registration for those plates.
If the vehicle is financed the dealership or your financial institution will file the necessary documents with Adams County. (If the vehicle was purchased from an out-of-state dealer or you arranged your own financing with an out-of-state financial institution, the required documents may be sent to you. If that is the case it is your responsibility to file the required documents to title and register the vehicle.) Upon acceptance, the application will be processed and Adams County will mail you a postcard. You must bring this card, proof of emissions and proof of valid vehicle insurance to one of our office locations to purchase your license plates.