Some December 2018 renewals miscalculated by the Colorado Department of Revenue. Learn more by clicking here.

New Resident Vehicle Registration

Licensing an Out of State Vehicle by New Residents

If you are a new resident to our state you will need the following documents to register your vehicle:

  • Verification of Vehicle Identification Number Form (DR2698) completed by one of the agencies listed on the form
  • An emission test from a Air Care Colorado test station
  • Proof of valid vehicle insurance
  • Title to the vehicle or, if the title is held by a lienholder, a photocopy of the title or current out of state registration; vehicles from non-titling states or foreign countries should contact our office at 720.523.6010 for registration requirements

Note: If this is a new purchase from out of state and never registered, this will be treated as either a cash vehicle purchase or financed vehicle.